An individual who provides counseling, social work, marriage and family therapy, or substance abuse counseling via telepractice shall:
- In addition to complying with the requirements in R4-6-1101, document the limitations and risks associated with telepractice, including but not limited to the following;
- Inherent confidentiality risks of electronic communication,
- Potential for technology failure,
- Emergency procedures when the licensee is unavailable, and
- Manner of identifying the client when using electronic communication that does not involve video;
- In addition to complying with the requirements in R4-6-1103, include the following in the progress note required under R4-6-1103(H):
- Mode of session, whether interactive audio, video, or electronic communication; and
- Physical location of the client during the session.
Source: Arizona Administrative Code R4-6-1106: https://www.azbbhe.us/pdfs/Rules/ProposedRules/FINAL%20BOARD%20RULES.pdf
(a) Means the interactive use of audio, video or other electronic media for the purpose of diagnosis, consultation or treatment.
(b) Does not include the sole use of an audio-only telephone, a video-only system, a facsimile machine, instant messages or electronic mail.
This definition will change effective January 1, 2021 per AZ Senate Bill 1089