Counselors, Social Workers, and Marriage and Family Therapists
Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board
4757-5-13 Standards of practice and professional conduct: electronic service delivery (internet, email, teleconference, etc.).
Electronic service delivery is defined in paragraph (EE) of rule 4757-3-01 of the Administrative Code. Licensees are reminded that standards of ethical practice and professional conduct rules 4757-5-01 to 4757-5-12 of the Administrative Code apply to electronic service delivery.
(A) These standards govern the practice of electronic service delivery and address practices that are unique to electronic service delivery and electronic service delivery practitioners.
(1) All practitioners providing counseling, social work or marriage and family therapy via electronic service delivery to persons physically present in Ohio shall be licensed in Ohio.
(2) All licensees of this board providing services to clients outside the state of Ohio shall comply with the laws and rules of that jurisdiction.
(3) Electronic service delivery shall require an initial face-to-face meeting, which may be via video/audio electronically, to verify the identity of the electronic service delivery client. At that meeting steps shall be taken to address impostor concerns, such as by using passwords to identify the client in future electronic contacts.
(4) Informed consent shall include information defining electronic service delivery as practiced by the licensee and the potential risks and ethical considerations per paragraph (B) of rule 4757-5-02 of the Administrative Code.
(a) Licensees shall obtain written informed consent.
(b) Licensees shall not provide services without client signed informed consent.
(5) Licensees shall provide links to websites for all of their certification bodies and licensure boards to facilitate consumer protection.
(6) Licensees shall identify an appropriately trained professional who can provide local assistance, including crisis intervention, if needed. Licensees shall provide electronic service delivery clients the local crisis hotline telephone number and the local emergency mental health telephone number.
(7) Licensees shall provide a link to the board's online license verification site on their web page.
(B) Confidentiality in electronic service delivery shall be maintained by the licensee:
(1) Licensees shall use encryption methods for electronic service delivery , except for treatment reminders, scheduling contacts or other information provided outside of a therapeutic context; and
(2) Shall inform electronic service delivery clients details of data record storage.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 09/20/2017
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4757.11
Rule Amplifies: 4757.11
Prior Effective Dates: 10/18/09